Thursday, December 3, 2009

Comic Thumbnails and Sketches

So I've been trying something new. I've always wanted to make a comic, but the task of planning out and drawing so many pictures has always been so daunting. I really think it's one of the most undervalued art forms today. It's getting more popular, I think because of generations of Batman and Spiderman readers becoming adults and intellectualizing it for the mainstream, and also the huge amount being imported from Japan. So I wrote a short ghost story and all things considered it should be no more than a few chapters long, although that is still a lot of drawing. I'm leaving room to write more if I like it. The pages are read by row, going down and then moving to the next, western style.


So in this part, this explorer goes to a city with an interesting folk tale, which he mocks and vows to disprove. He climbs to the cave where the folk tale says these ghosts come from and gets a chilling feeling. In fact he finds himself too scared to go in, so he decides to head back as the sun starts to go down. On his way back, he hears sounds of footsteps behind him.


In the second part, he is confronted by the ghost of legend and it attacks him, physically harming him. Now he's terrified and runs for his life. I was particularly interested in capturing how this would look and I want to put it against the dark background of old growth pine trees. He manages to escape by running across the snow in the open to a rock ledge. For some reason the ghost cannot cross the snow. The man passes out and wakes up dazed.


And the last part! He wakes up and feels his wounds. It's daytime and he feels safe, he begins to head back. Only...there's someone waiting in the bushes..DUN DUN DUNNNN!

This was really fun and the small size let me get a lot of ideas down quickly, so the next chapter will be on it's way soon with any luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment